Monday, November 18, 2013

What happens when you blow it? Bad?

Let me start by saying how excited I am! I had the opportunity to guest post for a fabulous blog: No Debt Brunette. You can read the article here. Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear from you!


Well, I hate to admit it, but I got a severe case of IDIS last week and its side effects have lingered and have been bothering me ever since. For those that don't know, IDIS is a horrible epidemic that has already swept across America and is only getting worse. I thought that I had rid myself of this terrible disease, but this last week has shown me that I am far from beating it.

First and foremost, let me start by saying that IDIS is not an STD. No, your undercarriage is safe. IDIS stands for I Deserve It Syndrome. In the past seven days, I made two separate purchases because in the heat of the moment, I thought that "I Deserved It"!!

Wrong.

While I still am $69k in debt, needless purchases are not justified by "I Deserve It!". These two purchases were made on separate occasions: the first being a massage and mani/pedi. I had made the appointment several weeks ago, but once I decided to become ultra-serious about repaying my loans, decided to cancel the appointment. However the day of the appointment came, and after a long day at work, "I really deserved that massage and manicure". So, I spent $167.

Later, I got online to re-order face wash, which I budget for in "Misc".  While searching around the website I realized that I needed more toner, and lotion and ... well you see where that ended up. Total, I ended up spending $242.61. WHAT?!?!

These two purchases were completely unjustified and ended up costing me $400. That's $400 that could have been better served paying off a loan. But, no. My selfish side got the best and it is $400 extra dollars I now have to work twice as hard for.

In light of that horrific spending, I picked up an extra shift at the restaurant last week and this coming weekend to make up the money. Ah. Sometimes I feel so irrational.

I know how to get out of debt and I do work hard to meet that goal. However there are times like last week when I fall off the wagon. From here, there's no use in continuing to beat myself up for it, but only to learn from my mistakes. When I am stuck asking people if they need any more napkins or a refill on beer during the extra shifts I pick up, I'll remember that I would have rather had a day off to read or relax, but my purchases required me to work even more.

What is the hardest aspect of your life to "get under control"?

No comments:

Post a Comment